Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Mastermind Creations Hexatron vs Hasbro's G1 Decepticon Six Shot

Well folks here is a review I have been wanting to do for a while. Well, actually since March when this figure was stated to be released. Well I am glad to say Hexatron has FINALLY arrived.

So how does Mastermind Creations updated Six Shot compare to the original? Let's find out

When I opened the box from Captured Prey and lifted this toy out of its prison, I was very happy with the weight of the figure. That is, until I figured out that it was the outer box that added a lot of the weight and not the actual figure. The toy itself actually weighs less than the G1 Version.




I was honestly surprised that Hexatron was so similar in height to his G1 counterpart:


The colors work really well, too, and they feel like they are the same character. Heck even their faces are similar:


Hexatron does have some added swords, something it's g1 counterpart doesn't have.

ARTICULATION

Hexatron blows G1 Sixshot out of the water. Sixshot has arms that go up and down. Yep, thats it. Hexatron has swivel and ratchet joints all over the dang place. His head is on a ball joint, but I have to say less ball joints is a good thing. This toy is stronger due to not having ball joints everywhere. Check it out:



Winged Wolf Mode

The first mode of Hexatron is his winged wolf mode. Both bots have the mode, but I have to say The G1 has a stronger feel to him then Hexatron does. He just looks bulkier and stronger. Or it could be because Hexatron's wolf head just looks to small for his body.



Can you even bend your legs? Do you think the chicks will like my smaller sleek head?

So while the MMC one does have more articulation, his head is just too small, which makes it look mismatched. But I have to say it does look more like a wolf  head compared to the panther look the g1 has.

APC MODE

I have to say, I needed to take a double look at this mode. I know APC usually means armoured personnel carrier. But neither figure has that feel. I looked up APC and the only other thing I could find is Adenomatous polyposis coli which has to do with colon cancer, so I am thinking its armoured personnel carrier. The G1 instructions call their mode its Armored Carrier.



So if 2 people sit in the front does you Front end scrape, too?


Both versions have an odd feel to them and make it seem as if they are missing front wheels. But there is a silver lining: they both look better once their weapons are added


 Once the weapons are added, the Hexatron Robot wins hands down. The G1's missing grill makes it look incomplete. 

Now there are several different ways to transform G1 Sixshot into his Car Mode as pointed out by Tj Wilferd. But the pics I chose to post are the way shown in the G1 Sixshots Instructions. And not a mis transformation. I am comparing the 2 figures as they are shown in their instructions. Even though I would love to show every Fan found variation out there there just isn't enough time to figure out which modes match. For instance Hexatron's Boat mode.

LASER PISTOL MODE

This is the fun mode. I can't honestly see it happening in the comics or cartoon unless they become the pistol of say a gesault. So I am placing this in the category of it's for  KIDS TO HAVE FUN DANG IT!!! Even though the MMC Hexatron does have a 16 and over warning!



Again, with its more slick feel and actual old school dollar store alien blaster feel (the ones you chased your sister with going Peooww Peooww. Die Human Scum!!!)  MMC's Hexatron is the winner. Now his handle did need work and looks a bit incomplete, but that can be overlooked over Six Shots "Hey, I have small Guns sticking out of my feet!!"  look. Both do look better with their weapons added.

I will cap you with my foot beams of Schtink!!

Peoow Peeowww!!!!!

TANK MODE

Ok, now both of these figures call themselves Tanks. But personally, I think they both have more of a closer feel to a MLRS (Multiple Launch Rocket System Artillery), as neither has a main canon like typical tanks.


Both vehicles do have a strong feel to them just not a typical tank feel.:



But the Hexatron figure definately needs his weapons attached to give him the "Tank" feel



Now there are several different ways to transform G1 Sixshot into his Tank Mode as pointed out by Tj Wilferd. But the pics I chose to post are the way shown in the G1 Sixshots Instructions. Which I didn't complete correctly on the Tank mode. I will update the pics as soon as possible.  I am trying to compare the 2 figures as they are shown in their instructions. Even though I would love to show every Fan found variation out there there just isn't enough time to figure out which modes match. For instance Hexatron's Boat mode.

STARFIGHTER MODE

The 6th mode is that of a starfighter. 


Both look very sleek, but the Hexatron version just looks faster- even though his speed stat is a 4!!! 

Putting him at the same speed level as Trailbreaker. But as a fellow transfan stated on FB:

Orson Christian Quick note on the stats, since you mentioned his speed stat is the same as Trailbreaker's - I've seen it suggested that certain of the stats, with speed being a prime example, are not universal across the line, but relative to the class of vehicle being described. So his fighter mode would be compared to other aircraft Transformers, rather than to ground vehicles.

And I thought of that, I really did, but then you check other spacecraft, Cosmos has a stat of 10 Speed, Astrotrain speed stat 10, Sky Lynx Speed of 10, Blast Off Speed of 10 so compared to all of these other space vehicles he is really really slow,which would make for a very slow space cruiser. Just saying. From the top you can see that the wings are way longer on the G1 version.


And both definitely look better with their weapons added


And while I like both, and the G1's longer wings, the all purple front on the MMC toy pushes the look of this mode slightly forward. 

OVERALL

I have to say I love this figure- Both versions. But since this is to really showcase the MMC Hexatron figure, I will talk about him here. Hexatron is flat out cool. He is an awesome remake and upgraded version of Decepticon Sixshot. The company really put a lot of thought into the figure. There are some stress marks on mine, but they are due to bad drilling and not bad plastic. I think the one thing I did have issues with are the rotating sheath holders. They get in the way A LOT and must be set in their proper place before you start a transformation. Several times I forgot to do this and had to reverse the transformation since there was no way to set them in their right place without going back a few steps. Now as for the price... I have never been a fan of price points over $100, but it is something 3rd party companies seem to be making the norm now. And with this figure being more costly then the 2 ft Metroplex that was just released, it really hurts it. So if you have the extra money, and really want it, get it. If not, don't look at it anymore, and forget about him because if you looking and wondering, you will regret not getting him. Now all I need are some Repro labels for him, and he will go great with my other Transformer toys.

Thanks to Dave Urbik, Nigel Bradley, Orson Christian, Tj Wilferd.  for their help on this review.







No comments:

Post a Comment